Yesterday I answered questions for for Lisa Reneé Pitts, the narrator for the audiobook of Wheel of the Infinite. You never realize how many words you made up for a fantasy novel until you need to go over them with the audiobook narrator! She is awesome, and I'm really looking forward to the audiobook, which is coming out Dec 31.
And I posted a coupon for Barnes and Noble which is good until October 14.
* The Oatmeal: Christopher Columbus was Awful, But This Guy Was Not
to go with:
* Cracked.com: 6 Ridiculous Lies You Believe About the Founding of America
* Cheryl Morgan: Women in SF&F: The Cycle of Negative Feedback
So here’s what I think happens. The editors at the big publishers are probably nervous about buying SF&F by women (unless they can pass it off as YA or "Dark Fantasy") because they know how hard they’ll have to fight for such books within the company. If the books do get bought, the publicity department will be reluctant to allocate funds to them, because they think that SF&F by women doesn’t sell. When the sales staff visit the bookstore buyers, they don’t waste time pushing the SF&F books by women, because they think that they won’t sell. The note we got back from Waterstones said that in September only 6 of the 81 new SF&F titles offered to them were by women, which was fairly typical.
* Wil Wheaton: The Stairwell
“Have you guys ever seen The Stairwell?” He asked us. I could tell by the way that he said it that The Stairwell was capitalized, and important.
* Cracked.com 4 Things No One Tells You About Having OCD
It's not like on TV.
* Tumblr: Wholock AU: The Doctor tries to solve the mystery of Sherlock Holmes, the detective who keeps dying.
This is awesome.
Links and Audiobooks
October 11th, 8:26